This information is provided by the North Dakota Department of Health
A: Following testing, you should monitor your health. Your next steps are dependent on your specific situation:
- If you have COVID-19 symptoms (fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea) and are waiting for your test result, you need to isolate at home away from others.
- If you are NOT a close contact, don’t have symptoms and are being tested for COVID-19, you need to practice physical distancing, and it is recommended that you take precautions such as mask wearing when you are at work or in public places.
- If you have been identified by public health as a close contact to someone who tested positive for COVID-19, you need to quarantine at home for 14 days from the last time you were exposed.
When you receive your COVID-19 testing results:
- If you test positive, you will need to stay home for 10 days from your symptom onset or from the date of the test, if you are asymptomatic.
- If you test positive, you need to isolate from others until:
- You are fever-free, without using fever-reducing medications for at least 24 hours AND
- Your other symptoms have improved AND
- It has been at least 10 days from the onset of your illness if asymptomatic, it has been 10 days since the collection date of your test.
- If your test results are negative and you are NOT a close contact, you should continue to practice physical distancing and limit interactions as much as possible. You may participate in everyday activities (work, groceries, etc.) but should limit exposure to non-essential public gatherings/places.
If you have additional questions, feel free to contact the state COVID-19 hotline at 1-866-207-2880, Monday through Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. However, individuals seeking specific medical advice should contact their healthcare provider.
Additionally, you may want to create a list of people you have come in contact with, and places you may have visited. Waiting for your COVID-19 Test Results? Review some key steps that can help. You may also want to proactively automate this process by downloading the Care 19 Diary app to track places you have visited or the Care 19 Alert app to help track if/when you may have come in contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19. Both apps are available for Android and IOS platforms.
More information is available through the ND Department of Health.